Post-Vaccination Syndrome

Cases: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

DKTP = Diphtheria + Pertussis (whooping cough) + Tetanus + Polio
DTP = Diphtheria + Tetanus + Polio !!!
HIB = Haemophilus Influenzae B, causing encephelitis
MMR = Mumps + Measles + Rubella

Case 1
Jurgen was exactly one year old when his mother first appeared at my practice. When he was three weeks old he contracted a cold that had still not disappeared. Up to six months he was lovable and quiet, but this suddenly changed: he became restless and noisy and often had one-day fevers, ten times in that year. It was as if he was a different child, said his mother. Nothing pleased him any more, he refused to sit on mother's lap, even for a game or nursery-rhyme. He had his vaccinations exactly on time 'with absolutely no problems' according to the mother, except that after the fourth DKTP/HIB a month ago he had a one-day fever. He has also had abnormal trouble with teething, with a raised temperature and diarrhoea. His colds were characterized by a watery running nose, expectoration and noisy breathing: 'you can always hear something,' his mother said. From six months he was given vegetables and fruit juice as well as the bottle. 'What is the matter with him? He has suffered colds since he was three weeks old so he very probably has an innate tendency to infection and weak defences. But the enormous change in Jurgen's character at six months is the most noticeable part of this tale.' Theoretically this could be caused by the change in diet, but it is most unlikely that this could cause the change in character. These changes can however easily be explained by a post-vaccination syndrome. His total lack of reaction to the various vaccines is more likely to be a sign of his poor general defences than of the harmlessness of the vaccinations.
This means for Jurgen that we will in all probability have to reverse the change in character by giving him a series of potentised DKTP/HIB. His weak defences (which are shown by his constant colds) will remain to be treated later, as this was present before the vaccination period. After the DKTP/HIB 30K, which he was given in the evening before going to bed, he cried at night incessantly for four hours, after which he was noticeably more content. He also had diarrhoea that day. The 30K was therefore repeated a few days later, after which the series was completed. After three weeks I saw Jurgen again. Mother said that his behaviour had improved beyond measure. He was now much more content and remained on her lap, and expressed real pleasure (for example when his parents came home). He played more happily, and no longer ran from one thing to another. He had become calmer. Since the treatment he often had diarrhoea and he slept fitfully, waking at night and wanting to play as if to make up for lost time. He yelled whenever his mother went away. I prescribed a repeat series of potentised DKTP/HIB, to which he reacted with three days of fever of up to 40°C, a runny nose, coughing and inflamed eyes. This was followed by almost constant diarrhoea, rejection of his food and continuing colds. Then came a period with bodily disturbances from teething difficulties, expectoration and squeaky breathing. It seemed as if he was bothered by something other than his vaccinations so I decided on the basis of his symptoms to treat him with Cuprum metallicum after which he finally recovered. He sleeps peacefully, no longer has diarrhoea, the colds and inflammation of the eyes have disappeared and Jurgen is fully recovered.

Case 2
Peter, 10 months old, was suffering from colic and stone-hard stools and could scream dreadfully for hours on end following his first DKTP. Mother, who is a 'DES-daughter' (child of a mother who used the drug di-ethylstilbestrol during pregnancy, which proved injurious to the child), has Crohn's disease (chronic enteritis) and took Salazopyrine* during and after pregnancy so could not breast-feed her child. Peter has had hard stools from his sixth week and always needed two days to expel his faeces. He turned red, perspired over his whole body, got cross, shrieked and kicked. After his first DKTP/HIB he had fever for a day and his whole thigh became swollen 'like a sausage'. He screamed incessantly for nearly five hours. After the second DKTP/HIB he again developed a fever with a swollen, red leg. Growth disorders were also observed. The third vaccine was injected into his arm, after which he again developed a fever, with a swollen arm.
The following potentised vaccines were administered: DKTP/HIB 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days; after the MK Peter cried all day and then started to recover. After two weeks he fell back into his old pattern of ailments. The DKTP/HIB 30K and 200K were then repeated and again he recovered. Mother speaks of a miracle; Peter is happier and no longer screams. The drop in his weight curve started to rectify itself. He still suffered from hard stools, which was to be expected as this was the case before vaccination.
Two possibilities can be considered: he either has a predisposition to intestinal problems or these manifested themselves before birth as a result of his mother's use of Salazopyrine during pregnancy. If the latter is the case the problem could relatively easily be solved. My initial tentative diagnosis was chronic constipation caused by the mother's use of Salazopyrine during pregnancy. If this diagnosis is correct the ailment should be cured and eventually entirely disappear after treatment with potentised Salazopyrine. I prescribed Salazopyrine 30K once a week. After two months the constipation was fully cured.

Case 3
Henri is a small boy who for six months had been peevish. At first his mother did not associate this with the chicken-pox he had had, which passed off without further complications. After careful questioning it appeared that everything had started at the time of this children's complaint. I therefore gave him Varicellinum 200K (chicken-pox). A large eruptive spot appeared on his chest, after which he was fully cured.

Case 4
Luuk was born in early November 1994 and received his first DKTP/HIB on the 15th of February 1995. A few days later he first became ill; he had shortage of breath accompanied by noisy breathing. The GP prescribed Bricanyl (bronchial dilator) and Clamoxyl (antibiotic) but this appeared unsatisfactory and Luuk was given a second course of Clamoxyl. On the 11th of April his lungs were finally completely clear and he was given the second DKTP/HIB. Two days later he contracted diarrhoea which lasted a week, for which the doctor prescribed Diarolyte (remedy for the prevention of dehydration as a result of diarrhoea and vomiting). On the 11th of May followed the third DKTP/HIB and on the 16th of May Luuk was again short of breath and the doctor represcribed Clamoxyl, this time together with Deptropine (bronchial dilator and remedy against allergy). However, Luuk's condition did not improve and halfway through June he was given Atrovent (bronchial dilator) and Erythrocine (antibiotic). On the 23rd of June he was given Erythrocine again with Zaditen (remedy against allergy) and on July the 13th (four months after the beginning of his complaint) he visited the paediatrician, who did not offer a diagnosis but suggested stopping the treatment. Luuk's condition improved gradually. On the 21st of November the fourth DKTP/HIB was given. On the 26th of November his nose started running, he began to cough and he had trouble breathing. Luuk was visiting his grandparents in a different town at the time. The mother consulted the local GP on duty, who suggested PVS and referred Luuk to me. The following Monday I saw Luuk, who had breathing difficulties and was heavily congested. I prescribed a solution of DKTP/HIB 30K. Within 24 hours the breathing problems were noticeably improved. For several days he continued to cough and expectorate and in the following week the phlegm was completely cleared. To complete elimination of the disturbance by the vaccines he was given a further series of potentised vaccines from 30K to XMK on four consecutive days. Since then (a period of nine months) Luuk has no longer been ill.

Case 5
Johan reported for duty with the marines in August 1993 and was given a Mantoux (product injected subcutaneously in the arm to confirm the presence or absence of tuberculosis in a person) injection on the 13th of August, on the 20th of August a DTP- and typhoid jab and on the 16th of September a booster typhoid vaccination. He gradually deteriorated, as he says himself. He was overtired, had serious difficulty concentrating, became very forgetful and had a strained left knee. At night particularly he had belly-ache, a burning feeling in his stomach and palpitations. After three months he was discharged from service. He went back to his former employer, but could hardly work. For a year-and-a-half he was very poorly, then he ended up in the summer of '95 on social security. A rheumatologist declared him 'in perfect health'. After that he sought help in the alternative medicine circuit and ended up visiting me. He told me that he felt fluey all day, perspired heavily, had to drink a lot and urinate very frequently. At night he was thoroughly exhausted. He felt too weak to ride his motor-bike. He got stomach cramps and felt ill from two glasses of beer. His problems were almost certainly due to one of the vaccinations. Any other explanation seems simply untenable. Treatment with Typhus 30K up to XMK on four consecutive days was started without any success. Three weeks later the DTP series 30K to XMK was given, again without any improvement being recorded. As suspicion still fell heavily on one of the vaccinations I repeated both series, again without result. What was left is the Mantoux. Immediately following the potentised Mantoux series he felt better and was again able to work whole days. Although he felt a lot better he was still a long way from being what he was. The Mantoux series was therefore repeated several times, each time after an interval of three weeks. He now anticipates a full recovery from this.

Case 6
Ragma was a one-year-old girl. In the early morning on the 4th of May, 1992 a worried father rang me because his daughter was quite seriously ill. Both of Ragma's parents were homoeopathic family doctors and knew the dangers of vaccination. They had chosen to have their daughter only partially inoculated at a later date to avoid vaccination risks as far as possible. As they both enjoyed long-distance travel they decided to give Ragma a DTP at 13 months. Up to then she had been a healthy child. She had occasionally had coughing fits but these had spontaneously disappeared. The day following the vaccination Ragma became very listless. After a week she began coughing and vomiting with a temperature of 38-39°C. She did not want any food or drink beyond her single daily breast feed. She woke frequently and only began to sleep properly at about 5 o'clock in the morning. She was prone to frequent crying fits, especially at night. Her parents gave her Thuja C1000 after she had been coughing and had had a fever for four days. She did not react to this. Her condition worsened and five days after the beginning of her illness she clearly had an infiltration (sign of pneumonia) in the lower lobe of her left lung. Her temperature was 39.5°C, she would neither eat nor drink and vomited as a result of her coughing fits. Her parents were worried about dehydration and feared hospitalization. The family doctor involved pressed for an immediate course of antibiotics. When the father rang me on that May morning I advised him to start immediately with the administration once an hour of a teaspoonful of a solution of DTP 200K. I arranged to see Ragma at the end of the afternoon. Her condition was then essentially unchanged. Crepitations (sounds audible with a stethoscope that point to pneumonia) were clearly audible in the lower left lung; there was (as yet) no sign of dehydration but we clearly had a seriously ill child. We agreed to continue with the treatment and to postpone further decisions until the next morning. The next morning I received an enthusiastic telephone-call from the parents. Ragma had slept better, her temperature was 37.9°C, she was coughing a lot less, had stopped vomiting and was more active. The treatment (a sip of DTP 200K every hour) was continued.
The next morning Ragma was full of beans. The fever had abated completely, her appetite was first-rate and she was drinking normally. Her facial colour was back to normal. Medication was stopped and the lungs healed without problems.
I dared to tackle Ragma's case because I had had ample experience of treating PVS-complaints with potentised vaccine and had built up my faith in the efficacy of this method. Antibiotics would almost certainly have worked too slowly to prevent dehydration and hospitalization, whilst the DTP 200K not only very effectively cured the post-vaccination syndrome but also restored the general defences.

Case 7
This 38-year-old woman is the mother of Ralf (case 13). In 1983 (at 28 years of age) she went to Indonesia and was given two each of cholera, DTP and typhoid vaccinations and one -globulin. Since then she had been tired, had listless hair, her memory had become much less reliable and she was moody. She showed a serious lack of concentration and felt uneasy, afraid that she would not get things done in time. Her sexual energy had completely disappeared. She had been increasingly run-down. Also she had constant muscular pain. She started overeating and gained more than 1½ stone. All this time her faeces had been runny. She could not shake off a cold; when her children got colds she always caught them. She said to me: 'You know your disposition and energy have changed, but you just can't be bothered to do anything about it. You feel indecisive. I've come to you with the children but would never have come by myself.' In 1993, ten years after her holiday in Indonesia, her son Ralf was born by Caesarian section, for which she had anaesthetic. After that she had two miscarriages and was once anaesthetized for D & C, after which both memory and concentration declined still further. I therefore gave her a series of Nux Vomica 30K up to XMK to clear the unwanted effects of the anaesthetic. She clearly improved, her energy increased and her headaches disappeared. She even sat in the sun without her veins swelling and turning scarlet and without a headache. She was noticeably less moody, but her memory and concentration were still poor. A repeat of Nux Vomica did not induce further improvement. My following step, starting in June 1995 and still unfinished in September 1996, was to reduce the noxious effects of the vaccines. Healing is in this case a gradual process with sometimes serious recurrences. The typhoid vaccination proved to be responsible for her complaints. She still reacts strongly to the potentised typhoid vaccine, but shows further improvements after each treatment. Her memory has already shown a marked improvement and she is clearly more energetic. In her own words: 'My will-power is back and I am a different person. If I look back to the period before treatment it is as if a blanket had been thrown over everything; everything I did was routine. The fog has now lifted. My concentration has returned; I can read books again and feel like studying again - I remember things better. I feel as if I'm making up for ten lost years. I'm fit now when I get up in the morning and no longer tired as I was for all those years.'

Case 8
This case is reported by my colleague, who treated a 17-year-old girl for urticaria (St. Anthony's fire) on the face. She had tried unsuccessfully throughout the whole country to find relief. When my colleague asked how long she had been troubled by this eczema her mother said that it started three months after the first DKTP-injection, i.e. 17 years before. She was given a series of DKTP 30K, 200K, MK and XMK over four days and the rash disappeared like snow before the sun within 14 days and at the time of writing (nine months later) had never returned.

Case 9
Following the DTP-jab at four years, Lisette showed an enormous decline in her development despite the preventive measure of DTP 200K two days before the vaccination and later on the same day: she started eating badly again, was very tired and reverted to baby behaviour: she talked gibberish, wanted to be fed and to revert to bottle-feeding. She became listless, spent a lot of time lying on the ground and wanted to be cuddled a lot as well as developing oversensitivity to pain. I gave her a complete series of DTP 30K, 200K, MK and XMK over four days, after which the complaints completely disappeared and her development continued normally.

Case 10
Patrick was nine months old when I first saw him. He constantly had a cold with green mucus. His breathing had been erratic since birth, but was now heavy and accompanied by phlegm. Mother stopped breast-feeding him after four and a half months. At this time he also developed eczema in the elbows and behind the knees, which was treated with cortisone ointment (a steroid (hormonal) ointment). He had been inoculated according to the normal scheme (i.e. at 3, 4 and 5 months). Eight to ten days after the first DKTP/HIB he contracted bronchitis with coughing fits, for which he was given antibiotics by the family doctor. Since then his breathing had been attended by expectoration. He caught a heavy cold following the second DKTP/HIB. Only the third vaccination was given in stages, first the DKTP and fourteen days later the HIB, which resulted in fewer reactions. In the spring his right eye became inflamed and produced green pus and at the time I saw him he had an infection of the left inner ear. He had had in total three courses of penicillin and reacted each time with a rash. At the time he was taking two puffs of Becotide (powder to be inhaled based on the hormone beclometason, which inhibits infection in cases of asthma) three times a day. He was perspiring heavily. I start treatment with a series of HIB, followed a week later by a series of DKTP and again two weeks later by a series of DKTP/HIB. When I next saw him five weeks later there had been no clear improvement; of the last series he had only taken the 30K and had just had an ear infection with a fever of 40.6°C, which the family doctor treated with penicillin. It still seemed that the injections were the only explanation for his complaints. Apparently one disorder was masking another. Homoeopathy recognizes that multiple disorders must always be treated in the correct sequence, that is to say in the reverse order to that in which they appeared. It appeared that the antibiotics had caused their own problems, which prevented him from benefiting from the given therapy. I therefore started treatment with a series of Penicillinum 30K, 200K, MK and XMK; after the MK he reacted with amber phlegm and a dry cough. Then the XMK was administered and the amber phlegm disappeared entirely. Two weeks later he had the series DKTP/HIB, after which his improvement continued. One month later he was fully recovered: his colds have disappeared and he no longer expectorates.

Case 11
Another instance of reduced natural defences is Hanneke. She was seven months old when she was first brought to my practice. Two months previously she had caught her first cold, which was followed by an infection inside her right ear and bronchitis for which she was given a course of antibiotics. A week later the ear infection was on both sides and her bronchitis had not cleared up, so she had been given a second course of antibiotics. Since then her breathing had been noisy owing to mucus in her lungs. I was told it all seemed to begin after the third DKTP. I prescribed a series of DKTP/HIB 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days. Since then the ear infections and bronchitis have gone but the cold remained. She also started to sit, crawl and stand in a short time. It was then that it became clear that her development had almost imperceptibly been retarded. There was still fluid in her right ear-drum and, when tested, she appeared to hear practically nothing on the left and little on the right. Teething pains frequently made her cry at night. She still appeared distraught. At the end of February I gave her a series of DKTP/HIB 30K, 200K, MK and XMK because the symptoms of post-vaccination disorders were still present. Following this her cold disappeared. Her hearing is now once again perfect and she is thoroughly content. Hanneke is again as healthy as previously and her natural defences are fully restored.

Case 12
Ellen was eleven months old when I first saw her in the middle of February and had constantly had colds 'since birth'. She cried continually at night for the first few weeks, probably as a result of stomach cramps. At five months she suffered terribly for two weeks from fluid, squirting diarrhoea. At eight months she was first bothered by a suppurating inflammation of the middle ear and a temperature of above 40°C. She was then given her first antibiotic treatment. After this she had four further attacks of middle ear inflammation, the last accompanied by vomiting, watery diarrhoea and a temperature between 375 and 38.6°C. She was otherwise a bright child, quite well-developed and she ate and slept without difficulty. She smells sour when she is unwell. She has had three DKTP's, to which she showed no direct reaction. Middle-ear inflammation and digestive disturbances are prevalent on the mother's side of the family. I began applying a common homoeopathic treatment, without success. On April the 15th she was given the fourth DKTP and 14 days later she again had a cold, brought up mucus, developed purulent eyes, ate less, cried at night and got another inflammation of the middle ear. When I saw her at the beginning of June with both ears discharging, a dirty nose and purulent eyes, it was clear to me that she had PVS. I prescribed a DKTP 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days. On July the 20th the mother rang me to tell me that the child 'had never been so well'. Everything has finished and it surprised everyone that the child looks so healthy. There was no relapse.

Case 13
Ralf was one-and-a-half and had had eczema from the age of seven months. For a week following both the DKTP/HIB's and the MMR he awoke shrieking and screaming and did not want to go to bed in the evening; he was in a state of panic and had to be nursed to sleep. After the third DKTP/HIB he also started to vomit and had fetid stools. His eczema seriously worsened after the MMR and he became aggressive and tense and started throwing things. His mother spoke of a breakdown. Whereas he had been thoroughly content for the first half-year, he had now for six months been restless and prone to regular colds. From his seventh month he drank a lot at night and, since the MMR, during the day. Treatment with a series of MMR 30K, 200K, MK and XMK was started and three weeks later he was given a series of DKTP/HIB 30K, 200K, MK and XMK. After the MMR series he became much happier and when the DKTP/HIB series was finished he was 'the little boy she once knew' as the mother said. He became talkative again, happy and full of grit. However, his night-time thirst remained undiminished and he would not calm down until allowed to drink. In addition he had a bad cold and watery, slimy faeces. I gave him a repeat series of MMR, following which for three days he woke up screaming and was afraid to go to bed in the evening, just as after the MMR inoculation. Otherwise there was little to report. Two weeks later the DKTP/HIB series was repeated and he reacted to this similarly as to the MMR; this also lasted for a couple of days. Then his excessive thirst at night disappeared within a few weeks, he slept increasingly peacefully and for three months the eczema could be observed to decrease without additional treatment. All symptoms arising following the vaccinations have completely disappeared.
Not all children are disturbed this clearly as a result of vaccination, but here is one of the fortunate few who was able to profit from a planned programme of recovery. Ralf is part of a family that has a history of adverse reactions to vaccination. His mother visited Indonesia on holiday in 1983 and was given two each of cholera, DPT and typhoid and one gamma-globulin (preventive injection against hepatitis A) injections. Since then she has suffered from fatigue for 11 years long (case 7). Her father had previously also been to Indonesia, on military service, and had the necessary injections. Ralf is thus the third generation displaying vaccination problems.

Case 14
In the Tijdschrift voor Jeugdgezondheidszorg4 for 1994 is an interesting illustration of vaccination damage is handled. "The commission considered the case of a girl who is now two years old whose mental and physical development was very seriously retarded. She had undergone a normal development since her full-term (at the normal time) birth at normal weight. She became seriously ill following the second DKTP, with a temperature of 41°C and symptoms that clearly suggested whooping cough: six weeks later it was obvious that her mental development was retarded. Following the first DKTP she had also been ill with a temperature of 40°C, coughing bouts with tightness in the chest and vomiting, but less seriously than after the second inoculation.
"The committee recognizes that whereas a causal connexion with both inoculations cannot be ruled out, this must be considered unlikely owing to the particularity of the course of the illness and against the background of the corpus of scientific literature relating to such a connexion."

The commission's opinion is in fact not very interesting here, although it does underline how such problems are generally tackled. What is much more relevant is the question as to the grounds on which it was considered that the responsible person or organization should go ahead with the second DKTP. At the very least it should have been decided to leave out the whooping-cough vaccination because of the coughing and oppression and 40°C temperature following the first DKTP. For another example, see case 11, Hanneke.

Case 15
A good example of too many vaccines being administered together is provided by Marieke. Her fourth DKTP and HIB were postponed and at 15 months she had to receive another DKTP, HIB and MMR. She was given them at the same time, a total of eight vaccines. Her mother's anxious question whether that was all right was answered in the affirmative: the child was quite strong enough. Nevertheless she reacted to the first three DKTP's and HIB's with a temperature above 39°C and by shrieking inconsolably (especially the first time). The ninth day after this massive inoculation she had a seizure with rattling respiration accompanied by slimy expectoration and her right side became completely rigid. Her temperature rose to 41.2°C She was admitted to hospital where she was given a lumbar puncture and further blood tests, but no infection was diagnosed. After two days she appeared completely recovered but at eight o'clock on the third morning she had a serious epileptic attack which lasted until towards evening. Marieke was no longer Marieke. Her speech was reduced to hmm, hmm... She constantly rocked backwards and forwards and up and down. There was no longer any eye contact; it was 'as if she's looking straight through you'. All warmth, joy and feeling of happiness and sorrow had disappeared. She had become an invalid baby that needed help feeding, could not crawl, walk or talk. Her growth practically ceased.
Marieke appeared to have lost her sense of balance; she waved her arms when walking and by now had had two months of physiotherapy and speech therapy. She only said 'mummy' and 'daddy'. But there was no repeat of the epileptic attacks and the medication was reduced after three months.
Now two-and-a-half, her condition had never been diagnosed as a post-vaccination syndrome. Her paediatrician repeatedly enquired if her mother still believed it came from the vaccinations, and the mother replied that she was 99% certain it did. Actual proof of a causal connexion would also in this case have to come from the potentised vaccine, however. We started the treatment carefully with just a MMR in homoeopathic dilution with a week between each administration. It was not certain that Marieke would still be able to recover fully. This misery could probably have been avoided if such vaccine-cocktails had been a thing of the past.
Treatment was started on April 22nd and I saw her again on the 14th of August, nearly four months later. She had been given each potency of the MMR twice because her condition worsened each time. The last dose (XMK) was given three weeks previously.
Marieke had changed enormously. She immediately got a runny nose and went through a highly emotional period during which she cried about literally everything and held on to her mother, just like when she was in hospital. But by now she feels safe again with father and mother and she can safely be left with people she knows. Her mother calls her describes her as radiant; she is freer, approaches people, is decided in what she wants. Her coordination has improved beyond measure. Her bearing is no longer that of a baby, her muscular control and balance have improved by leaps and bounds. She can walk normally again without waving her arms. Her pupils are no longer dilated and function normally and her oversensitivity to light is much reduced. Her digestion has improved; there is no undigested food in her faeces, which smell more normal. Her speech has improved; she uses some new words but in this is still backward for her age. Generally speaking she is about half a year behind her actual age, which means she has caught up about one-and-a-half years in four months. A consultation with the welfare-centre doctor who gave her all the vaccines together has not proved very satisfactory. She maintains that she acted correctly and says that she would do the same in similar cases in the future.
I decide to eliminate the disturbances from the other vaccines (DKTP and HIB) after one treatment as Marieke is far healthier. If necessary the whole procedure can be repeated. It looks as if Marieke, too, can recover completely from her post-vaccination syndrome. This treatment has at the same time definitively shown the cause of the bodily and mental retardation to be post-vaccination syndrome.

Case 16
Owing to an unnecessary repeat of the whooping-cough vaccine Saskia has adverse reactions after each vaccination. At three months she was given her first DKTP/HIB and fourteen days later she contracted whooping cough from an infected child. The paediatrician diagnosed whooping cough, which lasted nearly five months. But even after that she was constantly unwell: colds, 'flu, diarrhoea and any other illness she came into contact with. Nevertheless, at eight months she was given a DKTP/HIB despite the parents' direct query about the necessity of K (i.e. whooping cough). She developed a high temperature and was very ill for two days. A month later the third DKTP followed, after which she was ill for a week with a high temperature. Only then was it decided to drop the superfluous whooping-cough vaccine at the next inoculation. She hardly showed any reaction to the DTP/HIB vaccination, but her further development had clearly been disturbed. At nearly two, Saskia still did not talk and would only take minced food. Her back and neck were strained and she crawled with her body to one side. She hardly walked and constantly supported herself on whatever was to hand. Now, three months after starting on the recovery programme with DKTP/HIB 30K, 200K, MK and XMK and with Pertussin (whooping cough) 30K, 200K, MK (she did not have the XMK), Saskia is a different child. The improvement started slowly, but it became increasingly obvious that she was recovering. The results can now be called spectacular. She has completely made up lost time. She can now walk normally and even run, jog, climb stairs and walk backwards. She crawls symmetrically. Her speech is satisfactory and her articulation has much improved. She is energetic, less dependent on her mother and no longer panics if she cannot see her. She needs less sleep and no longer takes medication. A cold with green phlegm cleared up for the first time without going on to her lungs and without any wheezing. She is content and is a joy every day, reports the mother. Saskia is practically cured of the detrimental effects of the DKTP/HIB and the whooping cough.

Case 17
At nearly two years Frances had respiratory problems. From the week after her second DKTP she was seriously short of breath every time she caught a cold. I therefore gave her DKTP 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days. Following the XMK she started crying at night when going to sleep, something she had never previously done. She displayed symptoms of severe panic. Four days after the XMK she developed a cold, was weak in the legs and took to whining. I therefore gave her a DKTP 200K in solution. She was still wheezy, but noticeably less than usual. She started to improve slowly. At her next chill she still coughed but was no longer stuffed up. Her last chill was free of all complications. Frances is now perfectly content and her stuffiness has not returned.

Case 18
I first saw Walter in my surgery when he was 14 months old. At three months he contracted pneumonia, which was treated with penicillin, but he continued to cough. For a year he had been taking 25 ml. of Deptropine (bronchial dilator and remedy against allergy) three times a day but the coughing fits continued day and night. A PVS suggested itself, but the mother assured me that the pneumonia appeared before the first DKTP vaccination. He showed practically no reaction to the DKTP's and HIB's. I then prescribed a homoeopathic preparation based on his symptoms, to which he hardly reacted. A fortnight later the mother informed me by telephone that on checking the baby's records she had discovered that the pneumonia appeared four days after the first DKTP. I immediately prescribed DKTP 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days and a week later the coughing had completely ceased and the Deptropine was quickly decreased. A year's coughing and Deptropine was thus brought to an end.

Case 19
Joop was one-and-a-half, having been given the combined mumps, measles and German measles jab at 14 months. After a week he caught a cold with noisy breathing. The DKTP's had hardly bothered him. A course of penicillin seemed to solve everything, but a month later he again had a cold with noisy breathing. I then gave him MMR 200K, three days running. His condition improved, but he did not completely recover. A series of BMK 30K, 200K, MK and XMK cured him completely and his complaints did not recur.

Case 20
Frits was five months old when he was first brought to my practice. For six weeks he had displayed 'constitutional eczema' which started on his right cheek and spread over his whole body. He was over-sensitive to indigenous fruit and allergic to cow-milk protein. Exactly one month before the eczema started he had had his first DKTP and just two days before his visit the second. I prescribed DKTP 30K, 200K, MK and XMK and following the MK he developed a fever, so the XMK was postponed. The eczema abated quickly. After 14 days he received the XMK and the eczema disappeared completely. One month later the whole series was repeated owing to a slight recurrence, after which the eczema was completely cured.

Case 21
Bert was eight months old. Since his first DKTP/HIB he had eczema in his elbows, on his back, on his legs and on his shoulders. He contracted chicken-pox between the second and the third vaccination. After the third DKTP/HIB the eczema grew much worse, becoming very itchy and moist. Following the first inoculation he suffered from chronic colds and his breathing became 'husky' (as his mother described it). He had twice been bothered by pus in his eyes. The paediatrician's diagnosis was constitutional eczema. His advice was to use a hormone ointment. Up to three months Bert had been a healthy child. Treatment was started with DKTP/HIB 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days. Bert's eczema (especially on the back) worsened, accompanied by a high fever immediately after the first (30K) dose. His temperature dropped spontaneously to normal after a day; the higher potencies were postponed and the DKTP/HIB 30K was repeated a day later. As the eczema did not increase the higher potencies were then administered following the normal schedule. Two weeks later Bert was given a series of Varicellinum (chicken-pox) to correct a possible energetic imbalance resulting from the chicken-pox. This series was not accompanied by any noticeable worsening. Approximately five weeks after the treatment was started the eczema started to clear up quickly and two weeks later he was completely free of the condition. His bronchia were again fully open and he no longer suffered colds. Also he was no longer hyperactive and his moodiness and temper had disappeared and his hair and nails were growing normally again (noticeably more quickly than before). He still had pus in his eyes every morning. The DKTP/HIB series was therefore repeated two months after the start of treatment. If this complaint is related to the inoculations it should disappear following this course of treatment. This appeared to be the case six weeks later and Bert is again a healthy child.

Case 22
Joep was two-and-a-half when he was first brought to my practice. A highly itchy rash caused him great distress, especially at night. He awoke between ten thirty and eleven o'clock every night having scratched himself in his sleep and the eczema was then red and weeping. He then reawoke once or twice and could only be comforted by a drink. The condition started with red swellings over his whole body when he was one month old. The GP prescribed a cortisone ointment, with little success. From three months onward (after his first DKTP) the rash spread and he came out in red blotches, the irritation worsened and he scratched until he bled. When he was one year old his parents first went to a homoeopathic doctor but every remedy merely aggravated his condition without curing it. His parents then consulted a dietician, again without success.
Joep was vaccinated at the usual age but showed hardly any reaction to the vaccination apart from a worsening of his dermatological problems. It seemed advisable in this case also to approach a solution in stages, starting by eliminating the disorders caused by vaccination; if the vaccines continue to interfere, any sort of dedicated approach to the disturbance would merely aggravate the condition and they will prevent successful treatment of the child. That is probably what happened during treatment by the homoeopathic doctor when Joep was one year old. Treatment with MMR 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days was started; from the first day he became calmer and slept more peacefully, the itchiness and rash having lessened. He also ceased crying when he awoke at night and no longer wanted to drink. His night-time thirst started after the MMR. Two weeks later he was given the DPT + polio series following which he became calmer still and the eczema continued to improve. I saw Joep four weeks after the first consultation and am continuing treatment with a basic remedy that should further alleviate his disposition to eczema.

Case 23
Lieke is nearly two. When she was approximately three months old the first signs of her eczema manifested themselves on her chest and it has now spread to the elbows, the legs and the cheeks. She dribbles regularly and her eyes are inflamed, oozing green pus. She also constantly produces green mucus. In other words, a clear lack of general defences. Her body is very tense and she has not started to walk. She started to crawl several months ago. She has been attending weekly physiotherapy sessions for nearly a year but she cries incessantly and the physiotherapist is at a complete loss with her. In addition she has problems with her bowel movements, having to strain although the faeces are quite soft. She is still on semi-solid feeding and retches whenever there are lumps in her food. Her speech development is very retarded. She was vaccinated at the usual age and had a day's fever after each DKTP/HIB and the MMR. Everything points to a 'post-vaccination syndrome': the initial eczema at three months, the inflamed, running eyes and the green mucus from three to five months, weak bodily defences and an atrophied development, both motor and mental. Although the condition clearly seems to revolve around the DKTP/HIB it is advisable to start by eliminating the disturbing influence of the MMR. Because a sort of accumulation effect can be present this layer must be treated first; otherwise the MMR could act as an obstruction. So Lieke was given a MMR 30K, 200K, MK and XMK on four consecutive days, after which she was clearly happier and a heavy cold with watery secretions set in (the clean-up has started!). A fortnight later the DKTP/HIB series of 30K, 200K, MK and XMK followed, again over four days. She started to drink more and an improvement in her health became slowly noticeable. When I saw her after another six weeks she was completely changed. She has become more content, no longer cries at night, is more active and genuinely plays. She can now occupy herself fully with something for half-an-hour at a time where she previously continually went from one thing to another and always tried to involve her mother. She is also far less tense and her physiotherapist was dumbfounded at her last visit, saying 'You should have done this a year ago!' Her muscular activity has progressed considerably: she stands for long periods, pushes a trolley or walks hand-in-hand with an adult, crawls much more and has started to climb. Her mother says that she now does what she should have been doing a year before. She is inquisitive, active and enterprising. She complains a lot less about not being able to do what she wants. She enjoys her play and no longer lets her older brother take things away from her. Her bodily complaints have largely disappeared and after a repeat series of DKTP/HIB in potency the treatment can successfully be terminated.

Case 24
One April morning Tim's mother rang me because her son of nearly 10 months was running a temperature of nearly 40°C. It would appear that he had constantly had a chill since his third DKTP in January. The first two DKTP's had not caused any problems. But after the third vaccination there was a clear drop-off in his development. He was mopish and inactive and has hardly grown in three months. His hair and nails were not growing either. He had taken to sleeping more frequently and did not want to do anything. Once a happy child he was now miserable. In January he could already sit, but now he kept falling down. I advised the mother to give him a DKTP 200K in solution. The following day the fever was lower and the medication was continued for another day. When I saw Tim one week later he was quite back to normal. He is now happy again, has started crawling and can sit again (the mother took him to my surgery on a baby-seat on her bicycle). He is active again and mother has noted that in a week his hair and nails have started growing again. The chill has disappeared. He has completely recovered from his stunted growth-pattern.

Case 25
Lotte's mother rang me on the 20th of November, 1995 because her four-year-old daughter had started coughing on holiday. She was also weary and miserable. The symptoms had not yet gone and her mother suggested this might have to do with the unusually hot weather and because she had just started primary school. From answers to my questions I learned that Lotte had had a DTP-jab on the 26th of June, without having become unwell immediately. She started coughing about a week later. The most likely cause for her trouble is therefore not the hot weather or school, but the DTP-jab. I treated her for four days with a series of DTP 30K - XMK. Ten days later (November the 30th) her mother rang me to say all the symptoms were gone. Lotte was no longer coughing and was the happy, active child she had always been. She told me that after the third dose (DTP MK) Lotte had had a temperature (38.5°C). She therefore waited a day, repeated the third dose (DTP MK) and when there was no reaction she gave her the last (DTP XMK) dose the following day.

Case 26
Sabina was nearly two when I saw her halfway through March 1997. Her disorder began in November '96 when she started attending day-nursery. She was subject to nasal catarrh, coughing fits, vomiting and diarrhoea. She had been given three courses of antibiotics (November, December, January). She contracted chicken-pox at the end of November. Before this her life had been unproblematical. The pregnancy ran its course without much trouble and she was born by Caesarean section. She was breast-fed for seven months. She received her vaccinations at the normal time. Following the first DKTP/HIB she had her first cold and her last vaccination (MMR), to which she showed no noticeable reaction, was in July '96. The problems did not start until three months later, when she was attending day-nursery three times a week. Her mother described her as 'a real nuisance', a pusher, who quickly got cross when things went wrong and then started throwing things. She was eager to learn, happy, boisterous, she had trouble eating and sleeping. She was a chatterbox, reacted violently to pain and could not leave things alone. She loved being cuddled and liked sucking her dummy. She was pale, ate hot meals with difficulty but would eat bread without trouble. She drank a lot, and still more when she was not well. She needed to eat a lot between meals. There is a history of cancer in the family (PM / MPM / MMM) and diabetes mellitus (MP). The father's side tends to obesity. Expressed in homoeopathic terms, this child clearly displayed a Saccharum-pattern and I therefore prescribed Saccharum officinale 200K, once every two weeks.
This child's defences had clearly been undermined. She is an only child and had had little contact with other children. That is why the trouble revealed itself at the day-nursery. Ten days after the treatment had been started the mother rang because the ailments had worsened and Sabina was running a temperature of 40°C. I prescribed Saccharum officinale 30K in water, a sip an hour, but the next day she was worse and the mother was in a panic. We made an appointment for Sabina to see me and it appeared that she had an infection in both ears. Her lungs were clear. I concluded that another layer was blocking the efficacy of the constitutional remedy (Saccharum officinale), a layer that was screening her Saccharum layer. The Saccharum was not able to improve her defences and their weakened state must have had its origin in something other than a constitutional cause. Experience has taught me that vaccines are the most common source of such problems, and there had been little else in her short life that could so clearly have weakened her defences. I therefore started immediately to combat the MMR administered three months before the illness started. I prescribed a sip every hour of MMR 30K and the next day Sabina was free of fever, had had a good night's sleep and was visibly improving. The neutralization of the MMR was continued with higher potencies in the following weeks, after which the DKTP and HIB were counteracted. This way Sabina was completely cured of her PVS and it was only then that her mother realized that Sabina had actually been unsettled before attending nursery, but that had not come out in the form of infections. Her enjoyment of life has greatly increased; she is once again a delightful and contented child liked by everybody.

Case 27
Sanne's case is also interesting. She is seriously handicapped and is especially prone to epileptic attacks and pneumonia. I have been treating her for seven years and in all that time she has not once been hospitalized, though it was sometimes a near thing and a large share of the credit for this must go to her parents, whose courage and competence have greatly influenced her well-being. I have only seen her occasionally during recent years and a number of consultations by telephone together with a good collaboration with the GP, who has kept an eye on the medical background, have been sufficient to control the pneumonia and prevent aggravation of the epilepsy, using Opium or Cuprum metallicum. And so she reached her ninth birthday and at the instigation of her parents was given a DTP and an MMR, not on the same day, but still... At the end of February the mother rang me because pneumonia was imminent so I prescribed for Sanne the usual Opium but this time it did not help and even with increased potencies there was no improvement to be seen. The new GP wanted to hospitalize her, but mother refused: she set up a drip-feed for the child herself and at her wit's end we decided to give a course of antibiotics even though this had never really helped her in the past. She showed some improvement but three days after the ten-day course she was in the same state again with obvious pneumonia. We conferred with the previous GP. I then prescribed Cuprum metallicum and Cuprum sulphuricum, without success. And so a further course of antibiotics followed, again without success. Nothing seemed to help. Then I personally made a thorough examination of Sanne and discovered that she had had an MMR in October and a DTP half a year before that. I started immediately with a sip of MMR 30K hourly, and the next day Sanne had a splendid Opium-pattern back. She slept all day, could not be woken and rolled her eyes back up. Sanne was reacting and could therefore be treated. Then she recuperated fully within one week, first thanks to Opium, followed by Cuprum metallicum. The reactivity was restored once the DTP had been further deactivated.

Case 28
Anita received her third combined DKTP/HIB vaccination at five months. The same evening her temperature had risen to 40°C, she cried incessantly and appeared to have stomach cramps. Her mother was concerned and consulted the doctor next day, who examined the child and advised waiting to see what happened. He did not actually exclude the possibility of an acute post-vaccination syndrome but was not able to treat this. Anita did not improve and a second visit to the doctor produced neither new opinions nor treatment. When the mother on the third day approached the clinic where her daughter had been inoculated for advice about these post-vaccination disorders, a nurse told her that the vaccinations could not be the cause as any effects would be worn out within 24 hours. Then the mother rang me, whereupon I immediately prescribed a solution of DKTP/HIB 30K, after which Anita fully recovered within 12 hours. When I later contacted the doctor responsible at the health-care centre to complain about the advice given, I was treated to a meaningless albeit diplomatic answer that is nothing but a direct disavowal of the post-vaccination syndrome: Most complications do not last longer than 24 hours. But Anita could quite easily have contracted an infection that had nothing to do with the vaccines given and which spontaneously cleared up just at the time I prescribed the DKTP/HIB 30K. And once again reality is denied and attributed to coincidence...